Ways to lift your spirit:
- Walk through a garden or park, especially when you’re in the city.
- Enjoy the spring blooms — camellias, rhododendrons, azaleas, tulips — even the fallen and rain-sodden ones.
- Say hello to a puppy.
- Watch a blackbird pull a worm from the ground, and fly off - to a nest of chicks perhaps?
- Listen to chickens cluck, magpies warble, blue wrens titter.
- Snuggle into a new woollen scarf in a colour you don’t normally wear.
- Get new kitchen flooring.
- Enjoy a visit to (or from) mum and dad, and the homemade goodies that go with it (with a good cup of tea).
What lifts your spirits?
Mum’s Russian slice
This is one of my favourite things that my mum bakes; it's simple and wonderfully old-fashioned. I love its flavour as well as its pillowy appearance. This is the first time I have ever made it. Do make sure you like the bowl.
- Preheat your oven to 190 and prep a small slice tin (mine's about 17 by 27cms).
- In a saucepan large enough to act as a mixing bowl, melt 175 gms butter and 2 tbspns golden syrup.
- Remove from heat then stir in 1/4 light brown sugar, 1 1/2 tspn vanilla, 1/2 cup sultanas or raisins, and 1/4 cup walnut pieces.
- Now stir thru 1 1/4 cups plain flour, 1 1/2 tspn baking powder, and 1 egg.
- Blob into slice tin. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve at morning tea time.